Essential oils to lower blood pressure and the various ways to use them for temporary support of high blood pressure are listed below. High blood pressure or hypertension is a condition in which the diameter of the blood vessels all over the body are made smaller by contraction of the muscles in the walls of these vessels. This condition can make our blood pressure elevated. High blood pressure begins when systolic pressure (the top number) is 140 or higher or the diastolic pressure (bottom number) is 90 or higher. Whenever your blood pressure readings start to creep upward, the urge is to take measures to control it.
Seek your physician’s counsel and determine underlying root causes. Essential oils to lower blood pressure* are listed here as one of the ways to help support you while you are working on the cause of high blood pressure such as diet, exercise, sodium intake, etc. This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to treat any disease, nor is it suggesting to ignore physicians’ instructions.
Essential Oils to Lower Blood Pressure*
Here are 18 essential oils that are recommended by those who advocate their use for help with high blood pressure.
- Bergamot essential oil may lower heart rate and blood pressure.
- Cedarwood essential oil can promote relaxation and temporarily decrease heart rate.
- Citronella essential oil helps to ease stress. This in turn can lower blood pressure.
- Clary sage essential oil can reduce anxiety levels and thus lower blood pressure.
- Frankincense essential oil may reduce stress levels and regulate the heart.
- Jasmine absolute oil might ease a tense nervous system.
- Helichrysum essential oil is believed to have hypotensive properties that act as a natural relaxant to reduce blood pressure.
- Lavender essential oil has calming properties that may reduce anxiety and heart rate.
- Lemon essential oil is believed to relieve stress and depression, and as such support lowering blood pressure naturally.
- Melissa essential oil (Lemon Balm) may decrease blood pressure while protecting against heart palpitations, tachycardia, and heart attacks.
- Neroli essential oil may have antihypertension properties.
- Lime essential oil is said to have stress-reducing properties.
- Rose absolute oil has a calming effect and anti-inflammatory characteristics which helps relax the entire body to increase blood circulation and lower high blood pressure.
- Sage essential oil may promote weight loss through increasing the body’s metabolism. Weight loss has been shown to have a positive influence on lowering blood pressure.
- Sweet marjoram essential oil may dilate blood vessels to lower high blood pressure.
- Valerian essential oil may have powerful calming effects on the nervous system, which can:
- lower blood pressure
- ease heart palpitations
- ease insomnia
- calm hyperactivity
- reduce nervous tension
- Yarrow essential oil is considered one of the top oils for improving blood circulation.
- Ylang ylang essential oil may help decrease levels of cortisol, known as the “stress hormone,” and thus lower blood pressure.
Always dilute essential oils with carrier oil before use.
See our references at the bottom of this page for additional information.
*This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA and is not intended to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease.